Orton Hall

Orton HallDedicated and opened in 1893, Orton Hall is the second oldest building on the Ohio State campus. Located on the historic Oval, Orton Hall houses the Orton Geological Museum, Orton Memorial Geology Library, and offices and laboratories of faculty, staff, and students in the School of Earth Sciences. Orton Hall is recognized on the National Historical Register of Historical Buildings. It is a magnificent example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. The stone making up the Museum is from Ohio, with building stones arranged in stratigraphic order from the oldest at the bottom to the youngest toward the top. The columns in the Orton Hall foyer recognize the 24 principal, 19th century building stones of Ohio. The top of the tower is rimmed with sculptures depicting extinct creatures, including dinosaurs, ichthyosaurs, pterosaurs, and a saber-tooth cat. More information about Dr. Orton is available from the Ohio State University Archives.
 

0